Job title: Software Engineer
Location: Brighton or Sheffield, UK
Reports to: Director of Product Development
This role presents a fantastic opportunity to continue your career in a fast-paced, agile, SaaS (Software as a Service) product development team, working on the continuing development of our award-winning authoring tool and distribution platform.
Day-to-day work will focus on the ongoing evolution of the product suite through prioritised roadmap development of new features and functionality as well as improvements to the existing product.
As a key member of the project team you will be responsible for the implementation of the defined solutions using agile methodologies to the agreed specification, ensuring it is delivered to time and quality.
- With the support of the Lead Software Engineers, ensure that the specified solution is developed efficiently, is fit for purpose, and functions effectively in the client and user environment.
- Work to a technical development plan, identifying and advising the Lead Software Engineers of any issues and proposed solutions.
- Conduct appropriate testing throughout development and ensure it conforms to relevant standards and development best practices.
- Development languages and libraries including/or similar to – PHP, NodeJS, Laravel, Handlebars.js, Angular.js, jQuery, Modernizr
- Developing web content using HTML, JS and CSS using modern standards
- Experience of database technologies, e.g. MySQL and Mongo.DB
- Experience of server-side systems architecture
- Experience of linux and unix based systems
- Version control systems e.g. GIT and practices e.g. GIT Flow
- Ability to craft good quality code against defined coding and development standards
- Knowledge of web standards and experience of using validation tools
- Understanding of object orientated development including design patterns
- Proactive, self-starter
- Ability to work within a team under direction from the Director of Product Development and senior engineering team
- Ability to work in Agile / Scrum methodology
- Ability to communicate effectively with the gomo team as required to explain and define requirements for required work
- Commercial awareness
Why work for us?
gomo is an award-winning eLearning authoring, hosting and distribution tool. Since gomo’s launch in 2014, its hassle-free, multi-device learning suite has won multiple awards including two Brandon Hall awards for the Best Advance in Content Authoring Technology. gomo was named the #1 authoring tool in the world in 2016 by industry expert Craig Weiss and, in 2017, gomo featured on Training Industry’s list of ‘Top 20 Authoring Tools as well as ‘Core Leader’ on Fosway Group’s 9-Grid™ authoring system report. gomo’s global customer base includes PWC, Jaguar Land Rover, L’Oreal, EE, British Airways, Shell, Santander, PwC, Boots and Deloitte. gomo is part of Learning Technologies Group plc’s award-winning group of specialist learning technology businesses.
At gomo we offer a competitive salary and an impressive benefits package including a healthcare cash plan, life assurance, pension contributions, a ShareSave scheme, flexible working, a discretionary bonus scheme and travel loans along with access to Perkbox for individually tailored benefits and offers. All that and great bean-to-cup coffee and fresh fruit in our UK offices.